Monday, September 8, 2014

Monday August 25, 2014

Monday August 25, 2014
Dear Family,

I've been thinking the past few days about what it means to be redeemed. Specifically to be redeemed from death. This past week two Elders in the mission passed away. Although they still need to verify, it is believed that the cause was carbon monoxide poisoning. When I first heard the news I was a little shocked, and the idea that these two elders were actually dead was a little unreal. Death is so all-encompassing, so final, and so un-redeemable. That was the thought I had as I was riding my bike home. But as soon as that thought entered my mind, another word popped into my mind, the word, "Redeemer." Another name for Jesus Christ is Redeemer. He redeems us from death. Death is not all-encompassing, nor is it final; it is not the last step. Hosea 13:14 "I will ransom them from the power of the grave; I will redeem them from death: O death, I will be thy plagues; O grave, I will be thy destruction." I believe in the plan God created for us, and so much of that plan only takes place after we step from this world to the next.

On a lighter note, last week we finally made up the cookie dough that you sent us mom! . . . It was heavenly. It's been a long time since I've had cookie dough. We did make an attempt at cookies . . . but in Taiwan people don't really use ovens, and after two cookies we didn't really have the patience for the toaster when the dough is so delicious on its own.

Last week we had this amazing experience on exchanges Sister Keung (from New Zealand) and I had just met up with our member to teach an investigator, when we found out our investigator was going to be 20-30 minutes late. So we decided to take our member, Sister Lai, contacting with us. We said a prayer and began to walk in front of McDonald's. As I looked to my left, I saw a girl sitting down and thought "talk to her." So we did. As we began to talk with her, she told us how she has looked into a lot of Christian religions, but she is confused by the differences and contradictions among them. She believes in God, but she doesn't know what religion is His. We shared with her about Joseph Smith, and promised her that God knows her, is listening to her, and will answer her prayers. She kept saying "Really?? He'll answer??" and she began to cry as we testified that he would. We've been praying to find the prepared, and that is exactly where God led us.

I love you!

Sister Rachel Caroline Edwards


No comments:

Post a Comment